Thursday, November 26, 2009

How insignificant

I am a leader, I am an achiever, I am going to be famous one day, I am a celebrity…….. the list may go on………. Though the word “I” is very small, people seem to give maximum importance to the same word “I”…
I mean we can never stop thinking about ourselves… somehow the whole world seems to revolve around us… the only thing we care about throughout our life is the “I factor”.
Each one of us have an attitude about ourselves and about life and this attitude is what describes the person we are. There are many people in this world who think they have achieved a lot, there are people who think they set benchmarks for the rest of the world and there are people who think they are the most powerful in this world……
Once upon a time I was one among them……………….
But one day my friend came up to me and told me about this simple fact, which shook my base….. this fact got me rooted. So here it goes….. we know how big our solar system is. Our solar system belongs to milky way galaxy and there are millions of such galaxies in the universe. Sun is just one star around which nine planets (now discovered 3 more) i.e twelve planets revolve. And sun is just one star belonging to the milky way galaxy and there are millions and millions of such stars in this universe…… this should give an idea about how large and massive this universe is and how insignificant sun is as a star in the universe, then how insignificant would be the earth as a planet and how insignificant would we be as humans on this planet!! We are merely nothing. We are much more insignificant than ants and mites….
Keeping this in mind….. I begin to wonder, how people build their own universe around them and how they begin to think so much about themselves……
Afterall we are so damn insignificant!!!!!
P.S: Thank u so much dear friend. Had you not told me this fact my life would have been terribly different!
Too intellectual?!
That is just me!

7 comments:

  1. Good one! But I have a different view. :)

    I'll start off from the least significant thing I know. Say biologically, the cell. To us, damage of a few cells wouldn't make much of a difference. But the point is, without the individual cells, there are no tissues, no mumscles, no body, nobody!

    The universe is large, and ever expanding, agreed. But each of the individual components are important. Without a Milky way, its neighbour Andromeda may not be where it is today. The gravitation of these two put together may be holding other galaxies in place. So, if there is no Milky Way, this system may fall apart.

    The same analogy can be brought to the milky way, and further down to the solar system. My point is, every small entity, however insignificant it may seem, affects the totality of the system. So, chill! We are not as insignificant as we seem to be :) There are so many effects which can be credited to us for all that has happened to earth and even for the ones that are due to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well i was not talking about it from the astro physics point of view! it is only to talk about people who sometimes think they rule the world. basically people who think the world begins with them and ends with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I wasnt talking just from the astrophysics point of view either. Because I actually don't get your 'insignificant' premise.As far as my understanding takes me, we must compare ourselves to achievers in that particular field to keep our heads on our shoulders!

    Let me clarify. Even though we do seem to be insignificant, we affect atleast a few people's lives. We may mean the world to those who see us to be important, and according to me, that is life well lived.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If this post is targeted at people who throw around airs, you do have a point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank u... looks like i did convince you on my point finally!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I" too am convinced with your point finally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes ashwin i too agree to an extent with your point of view. The chaos theory talks about how a seemingly insignificant change could trigger of a huge event. Though each of us are small and insignificant we are capable of making a differnece......But the problem is that no matter how much of a difference one can effect it really is miniscule in the grand plan...which finally implies tht we are indeed insignificant....:)

    ReplyDelete