Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Summer of 2009



We all talk a lot about changing the society and trying to be a “part of the change” in the society. This was the first opportunity I ever got to make a difference and not only be a part of the change, but to be the change. I have always adored children and I believe that significant amount of change can be made if a child is moulded in their early stages.
It was just like a dream come true. Like i just woke up to a bright sunny morning, with the sun smiling and embracing me with a warm hug. this was my opportunity to make a difference. I was at Dream A Dream an NGO who provide soft skills training to the under priviledged children. I joined them as a volunteer and helped them out with the annual summer camp!
I was eager to meet the children. I was alloted the children of class 7. They were a bunch of naughty and noisy students. But i could see the excitement in their eyes too. They were jumping with joy and they loved the whole concept of 'Summer camp'.
Every day was blissful to me. All the children would be waiting eagerly every morning and welcome me everyday with a huge smile and say “Good Morning Akka”, which means good morning elder sister. Just that expression would be more than enough to get me going for the rest of the day. It was among these bunch of kids that i noticed this small cute guy 'Kiran'. He was just too cute to be ignored. Kiran was THE BRAT of the school. There was not one day when he did not get punished by the principal. But i just couldnt stop myself from going and giving him a hug! He was the guy who would bring a smile on my face no matter what.
In no time i had got really close to him, though he was not in my class. And i am happy to say that the feeling was mutual! He would make it a point to come to me every single day. Sometimes he would actually go out of his way and buy flowers for me and wish me "good morning"
At one point there was a time when he would not listen to anyone but me! I felt so important and touched........
Untill one day, when the "D" day arrived.... it was my last day at the school. I took too long to realise that, but then i saw Kiran, he came running to me and asked me to click this picture of his... the shine in his eyes was worth a million dollars... Suddenly all my class students surrounded me and posed for a group photograph, immediately after that i see him clinging onto me... he screamed out in rage and said he wanted a picture only with me.... he actually pushed away all the other people around!!! I couldnt believe wat just happened! He was possessive about me....
It was time to leave the school and leave him.... my heart sunk.. the thought that i would not be coming back to school the next day hit me really hard.... and there he was right in front of me.. the guy i would miss the most....
He came running to me with a pen in his hand and asked me to give my autograph and mobile number...... I obliged....He bade me farewell with a warm hug and a smile...
That day as i stepped out of the school, i realised i had made a difference... if not massive, atleast a small amount of difference......
Now that is just me!

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree wit yu....yea like they say its not the big marvels of the world that give yu joy....but it's these small things that puts a smile on yer face! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sweet :) ... really we never notice that someone whom ur not aware of can make a difference in ur life :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see u taking up voluntary service. Its always better to be a part of the solution as we already are part of the problem, illiteracy is one such domain. This reiterates the point that every individual can do his/her bit to change another's life, even if its in a miniscule way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for refreshing my memory, when it was about to fade. It is the most satisfying experience I had ever up in my academic/professional life. It was a great team work and it was really nice working with you.

    ReplyDelete